Entice Writing Competition 2013 T&Cs
1. This competition is to win a publishing contract for a novel to be published as an ebook under the Piatkus Entice imprint by Little, Brown Book Group, 100 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0DY (“LBBG”). One overall winner will be chosen from all submissions.
2. To enter the competition entrants must submit:
i. Synopsis of no more than 100 words
ii. the first two chapters of their novel the total length being no more than 5000 words. The text must be double spaced and typed in Times New Roman font, point size 12 and must be the entrant’s own original work,
iii. their contact information including their telephone number, email address and any social media handles e.g. @piatkusentice.
All the material which is submitted must be written in English. Entries should be emailed as Word document attachments to: Piatkus.Entice@littlebrown.co.uk with the subject line ‘Piatkus Entice publishing contract’. Any entries which do not comply with all the requirements of this clause will not be eligible for entry into the competition.
3. The competition opens at 9am BST on 8th July 2013 (the “Opening Date”) and closes at midnight BST on 2nd September 2013 (the “Closing Date”). All entries must be received between the Opening Date and the Closing Date. Any entries received before the Opening Date or after the Closing Date will not be eligible for entry into the competition.
4. After the Closing Date members of the Entice team will choose the three best submissions from the eligible entries (the “Shortlisted Entries”). The synopses of and extracts from the Shortlisted Entries will be posted on the Piatkus Entice Website on 1st October 2013 and visitors to the website will be invited to vote for their favourite entry. During that time the authors of the Shortlisted Entries may be invited for an interview on Radio Gorgeous. The voting will close on 14th October 2013 . The result of the voting will be announced on 18th October. The authors of the two Shortlisted Entries which win the most votes will be asked to submit a third chapter by 21st October 2013. That chapter should be of no more than 2,500 words and must be double spaced, in Times New Roman font, point size 12. The winning entry will be judged by Anna Boatman of LBBG or if she is not available, by another employee of LBBG (the “Judge”). The winner will be the one which is the best written in the eyes of the Judge. The Judge’s decision is final as is the decision of those selecting the Shortlisted Entries.
5. There is no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
6. The winner and runner up will be notified of who has won on Monday 4th November and is required to keep the information confidential and not disclose it to any third party by any means. The Winner’s name will be announced publicly at the Festival of Romance which is due to take place on 9th November 2013 and will be published on LBBG’s website and certain other LBBG websites and social networking feeds and pages on 11th November 2013.
7. The winner will be invited to attend the Festival of Romance on 9 November 2013 and if they are able to attend, they will each receive £50 each (Fifty Pounds Sterling) towards expenses and two tickets for the gala dinner on 9th November 2013. No expenses or other sums will be paid for travel, accommodation, food or any other items.
8. Publication of the winning entry by LBBG will be subject to a separate contract (the “Publishing Contract”) between the author of the winning entry and LBBG. It will also be subject to agreement of the Publishing Contract. If LBBG and the winner are unable to agree the Publishing Contract, then that person’s entry will not be published at all and LBBG reserves the right to not publish any work or to select another entrant from the qualifying entries.
9. The Publishing Contract will be for all publishing rights worldwide, including all electronic rights. It is intended, subject to agreement of the Publishing Contract, that the winning entry will be published as an ebook in the summer of 2014. LBBG reserves the right to also publish a winning entry in print under the Piatkus imprint and/or to publish a winning entry whether digitally or in print under another imprint published by LBBG. There is no prize money for this competition or any advance payable under the Publishing Contract, though royalties will be paid to the author in accordance with the Publishing Contract.
10. The submission must contain the entrant’s own original work. Nothing must be included which is defamatory, private or in infringement of copyright or other intellectual property right or in any way a breach of another’s right. The material cannot have been previously published or been available online. If the submission includes any material in which a third party owns the copyright or any other right such as a poem or song lyrics, permission must be sought from the owner by the entrant. LBBG reserves the right to ask for the permission(s) before entering into the Publishing Contract. Entrants must be free to enter into the Publishing Contract and must not be subject to any constraints which would prevent LBBG from publishing the work such as (but not limited to) a contractual option given to another publisher. Any entry in breach of this clause will be disqualified from participating in the competition and from winning any prize.
11. The competition is open to anyone in the UK aged 18 or over except employees of LBBG, their families, or anyone professionally connected to the competition either themselves or through their families.
12. Only one entry per person is allowed. Second or subsequent entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted via agents, third parties or in bulk.
13. LBBG is not responsible for contacting entrants who provide unclear or incomplete contact information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
14. LBBG reserves the right to alter the prize, to not select any winners at all or to cancel the competition without notice.
15. The email addresses of entrants may be shared with companies within the Hachette group of companies but will not be shared with other companies outside the group. It will be used by the Hachette companies to send news about our books, products and promotions. Recipients will be given the option of opting out in those emails if they don’t want to receive any further news from us. The winner will be asked for their postal address which will be used for the purpose of their Publishing Agreement.
16. By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
17. This competition is being organised by LBBG.
18. These terms and conditions will be governed by the laws of England and the courts of England will have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes.